- Before starting your project, clear a large area and cover with garbage bags or several sheets of newspaper. Paper mache is a very messy project!
- Allow each layer to dry completely before adding another layer, will keep the layers strong as well as prevent mold growth.
- Add a bit of salt to your recipe if it’s a project you plan on keeping for awhile. The salt will help prevent mold growth.
- Adding a small amount of white glue to a basic flour & water paste will give the paste some strength.
- Acrylic paints are a good choice for painting dried projects, for best results make sure each coat of paint is fully dry before painting another coat.
- Make sure the item is completely dry before painting or spraying with varnish or a sealant, the paper material may bubble a bit underneath if you don’t.
1 cup Flour (2 parts)
1 1/2 cups Water (3 parts)
1/2 TBS salt (optional)
1/4 cup white glue (optional)