Kids can create their own rubber band finery by simply repeating the loop knot shown below and adding beads. Wear it with a dress, jeans — or even quadruple-wrapped around a wrist or ankle as a bracelet or anklet.
- Colorful rubber bands (we used 15 2 1/2- by 1/16-inch bands for a 30-inch-long belt)
- Clear beads (we used 50) with a 3/16-inch or larger hole (available in multipacks at craft or bead stores)
- 1 large bead with a 3/16-inch hole (for clasp)
- Use a loop knot to attach 2 rubber bands.
- Add a bead, or several, to the second band. If you like, tie spacer knots between the beads. Leave enough space at the end to attach the next band. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until the belt is the length you want.
- To create a clasp, thread the large bead onto the last band on one end and knot it to secure. Leave the loop for decoration or cut it off. On the other end, thread a small bead onto the last band and knot it so that you have a loop that fits securely over the big bead.