Make you’re own poppin’ fun version of a family favorite!
Category: Play Time
Recycle an old VHS tape into a fidget toy!
– A VHS tape
– A small amount of air/oven drying clay or putty. I used polymer clay. This is optional.
– Hacksaw to cut the plastic
– Chisel or similar
– Vice to hold the tape whilst cutting
– Sandpaper to sand the plastic. I used 320 grit wet-and-dry.
– Safety specs/mask/extractor/ventilation etc – safety stuff for use when cutting the plastic
– Felt/leather or other material to cover the clicker when finished (optional). Could also paint it instead if desired.
– Pliers for bending wire/metal (optional)
Gelatin holds the seeds together – all that’s left will be the twine – no yucky metal or plastic base to deal with!
- Bird seeds (sunflowers, peanuts, shelled and cracked corn, flax, golden millet, safflower, thistle) Find out what the birds in your area prefer and use that!
- Metal cookie cutters – oven safe
- A few pencils or sticks
- Boiling water
Cute li’l guys, aren’t they?
● 10” x 6” grey wool blend felt
● 12” x 16” light green or preferred
background colour felt
● Bright green and light pink stranded
cotton embroidery floss
● Black and cream sewing thread
● Toy stuffing
● Embroidery foot for your sewing machine
● Temporary fabric marker pen
Here’s a little kitchen science project for your family!
- 6 Glasses or cups
- water and 1 cup measuring cup
- sugar and measuring teaspoon
- food coloring
- spoon and baster
- test tubes
Great project for a scout meeting – try it!