Rind of 1 large watermelon (about 4 cups diced)
2 cups water
1 cup sugar
juice from 1 lime
1/2 tsp. salt
2 star anise
- Peel the green outer skin off the watermelon rind and remove any of the pink meat still on the rind.
- Cut the rind into strips (about 1 inch long by ¼” wide or 2.5 cm x 0.6 cm)
- Bring the water, sugar, salt, and lime juice to a boil. Add the diced watermelon rind and star anise. Lower the heat to medium low, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally or until the fruit is translucent and the syrup has reduced by at least half and thickened. (See Kitchen Notes)
- Remove the star anise.
- Transfer the rind to a clean pint jar with a lid and let cool.
- Best if refrigerated overnight before eating.
Complete article and recipe with tips HERE